Thursday, January 02, 2014

Happy 2014!

Happy New Year to all of you!
Last month passed by in a flash. Time really flies when you are off from work and having fun with your most loved ones. My daughter came home after 5 months away at university! It's so good to have my precious girl back for two and a half months. She returned just in time for our annual family year-end holiday. This time we went to Taiwan and Hong Kong.


Obligatory food pics - Taipei street food at Ximending above. I wonder why oysters in Taipei are so fresh and yummy. We ate these deep fried crabs (below) at the Shilin night market too. Don't be fooled by their size, the small soft shelled crabs (on the extreme left) were way better than the big ones.


Hong Kong was another food fest of a trip.


Dim sum at Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong, New Territories. The custard bun was oh so good!


The day after we returned home from our holiday, we had a very special visitor from overseas. I was so happy to meet this special person for the first time. He is such a nice guy and I hope that we will get to know him better. After that, my cousin visited Singapore with her sons. Her boys have grown so much since the last time I met them. It was so good to be able to catch up with her and my mum and sister too. So all in all, December was a blessed time spent with precious people.

In the midst of all the fun, I did a bit of sewing, mostly altering clothes for my daughter. The most challenging was this dress which she bought at a factory outlet because she liked the lacey waist. The bodice unfortunately was way too big. It was both too wide and too long. But strangely the waist fit her. My daughter has a tiny 23 inch waist so I'm just wondering if the dress was made for someone with a long torso and a huge chest and tiny waist. Anyway, I had to rip out the bias binding at the armholes and neckline and perform major clothing surgery to get it to fit.


The good thing is that I managed to put the bodice back together and it actually fits now! No matter how many times I do this, I continue to be amazed each time I take something apart and manage to sew it back together. Amazed that I did not ruin it.


There was knitting too. I finished knitting the lavendar mohair sweater and seamed all the pieces together. I did have to alter the sleeves which were too long. I did it the cheater's way by cutting off the sleeve at the wrist at the desired length and knitting the ribbing back down. But it's not done yet as I have to buy lace for the back neckline closure.


I also steam blocked all the crochet pieces for the skirt with my iron. I love seeing the transformation that happens during blocking. I am now seaming the 14 pieces together. You should see all the thread ends!!!


After one day of seaming, half the skirt is seamed. When the seaming is completed, there's still a border to crochet all around the bottom of the skirt. If the skirt length turns out too short, I am going to add some crochet from the waist up to lengthen the skirt. Once the crochet is all done, there is still a lining to sew and attach to the skirt. I'm looking forward to completing it!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Erin! This crochet skirt seems to require a lot of work but I am sure it will look fabulous! What sort of lining are you planning to attach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!

    That crochet skirt is going to be amazing when you are done!

    I loved seeing your food pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That food looks amazing!

    The skirt is coming a long so nicely! I can't wait to see what it looks like once it's all put together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! The crochet looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year Erin! No wonder your daughter wanted that dress altered, it's gorgeous! I love your crochet too & can't wait to see the finished skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, those food photos are giving me serious food envy!

      Delete